Find, diagnose & fix problems in building components, structure or mechanical systems.
Avoid, detect, or repair building failures.
Cure indoor environmental complaints / hazards.
Ask a Question or Enter Search Terms in the InspectApedia search box just below.
- free online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice, including all residential & light commercial building components, materials, & mechanical systems. Illustrated, detailed, in-depth research on
finding, diagnosing, testing, correcting, & preventing building defects, energy conservation, & indoor environmental hazards. Research on building failures & education course material on building failures & building environmental inspection testing,
diagnosis, & repair. © Copyright 2015 InspectApedia.com
InspectAPedia is supported by ads placed on our pages by Google. InspectAPedia tolerates no conflicts of interest. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website.
Journalists are responsible for following the truth wherever it may guide them. - David Carr, The New York Times - 2013 
Freedom of the press is limited to those who own one. - A.J. Leibling (1904 - 1963), "Do You Belong in Journalism", The New Yorker, 14 May 1960, p. 105
Publicity is justly commended as a remedy for social and industrial diseases. Sunlight is said to be the best of disinfectants; electric light the most efficient policeman. - Louis Dembitz Brandeis (1856 - 1941), "What Publicity Can Do", in [PDF] Other People's Money—and How Bankers Use It, Frederick A. Stokes Co., Publishers, New York (1914), p. 92.
It has often and confidently been asserted, that man's origin can never be known: but ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge: it is those who know little, and not those who know much, who so positively assert that this or that problem will never be solved by science. - Charles Darwin, The Descent of Man - 1871
The freedom of the press is one of the greatest bulwarks of liberty, and can never be restrained but by despotic Governments. - U.S. Declaration of Rights, 1776
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances. - First Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, 15 December, 1791
Page top Photo: wet mattresses carried outdoors as part of emergency response in a flooded home - Daniel Friedman
Width of this window is
Continue reading at ABOUT InspectApedia.com or select a topic from the top or left of this page or from the More Reading links shown below.
Suggested citation for this web page
InspectApedia.com - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.
Green link shows where you are in this article series.
The design and content found at InspectAPedia.com® are © Copyright protected, All Rights Reserved
Contents of this website may not be copied except in hard copy printed form as described at WEBSITE CONTENT USE POLICY
Please post questions or comments at the end of an appropriate InspectApedia.com article. If you're not sure where that might be, Try the search box just below.
Search the InspectApedia website
Technical Reviewers & References
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman
Click to Show or Hide Citations & References
-  David Carr, "Journalism, Even When It's Tilted", The New York Times, B1, 1 July 2013
Books & Articles on Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, & Repair
- Our recommended books about building & mechanical systems design, inspection, problem diagnosis, and repair, and about indoor environment and IAQ testing, diagnosis, and cleanup are at the InspectAPedia Bookstore. Also see our Book Reviews - InspectAPedia.
- Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd., 120 Carlton Street Suite 407, Toronto ON M5A 4K2. Tel: (416) 964-9415 1-800-268-7070 Email: email@example.com. The firm provides professional home inspection services & home inspection education & publications. Alan Carson is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors. Thanks to Alan Carson and Bob Dunlop, for permission for InspectAPedia to use text excerpts from The Home Reference Book & illustrations from The Illustrated Home. Carson Dunlop Associates' provides extensive home inspection education and report writing material.
- The Illustrated Home illustrates construction details and building components, a reference for owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Illustrated Home purchased as a single order Enter INSPECTAILL in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- TECHNICAL REFERENCE GUIDE to manufacturer's model and serial number information for heating and cooling equipment, useful for determining the age of heating boilers, furnaces, water heaters is provided by Carson Dunlop, Associates, Toronto - Carson Dunlop Weldon & Associates
Special Offer: Carson Dunlop Associates offers InspectAPedia readers in the U.S.A. a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Technical Reference Guide purchased as a single order. Just enter INSPECTATRG in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- The Home Reference Book - the Encyclopedia of Homes, Carson Dunlop & Associates, Toronto, Ontario, 25th Ed., 2012, is a bound volume of more than 450 illustrated pages that assist home inspectors and home owners in the inspection and detection of problems on buildings. The text is intended as a reference guide to help building owners operate and maintain their home effectively. Field inspection worksheets are included at the back of the volume.
Special Offer: For a 10% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
Or choose the The Home Reference eBook for PCs, Macs, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or Android Smart Phones.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAEHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
Building inspection education & report writing systems from Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd
- Commercial Building Inspection Courses - protocol ASTM Standard E 2018-08 for Property Condition Assessments
- Home Inspection Education Courses including home study & live classes at eleven colleges & universities.
- Home Inspection Education Home Study Courses - ASHI@Home Training 10-course program.
Special Offer: Carson Dunlop Associates offers InspectAPedia readers in the U.S.A. a 5% discount on these courses: Enter INSPECTAHITP in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Horizon Software System manages business operations,scheduling, & inspection report writing using Carson Dunlop's knowledge base & color images. The Horizon system runs on always-available cloud-based software for office computers, laptops, tablets, iPad, Android, & other smartphones
Support InspectApedia.com & See Fewer Advertisements
From Google's Contributor website: Contribute a few dollars each month. See fewer ads. The money you contribute helps fund the sites you visit.