Choosing a Caulk or Adhesive Gun: Models, Types, Advice
- CAULK GUN TYPES, CHOICES - CONTENTS: Description of types of caulk or adhesive dispensing guns. Trigger type manual caulk guns, durability, features, quality. Battery operated power caulk gun. Compressed air operated power caulk gun choices. Caulks & sealants on buildings: joint design, silicones, polyurethane caulk, butyl caulk, acrylic latex caulk
- POST a QUESTION or READ FAQs about types of caulk or adhesive or sealant guns or applicators - manual or powered caulk guns
InspectAPedia tolerates no conflicts of interest. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website.
Choices of caulking guns - a buyer's guide:
This article describes different types of caulk guns, caulk gun features, and caulk gun models, giving some opinion and advice about choosing a caulk gun that fits your needs.
Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2015 InspectApedia.com, All Rights Reserved.
Choosing a Caulking Gun for Easy Fast Caulking Work & Good Results
This article series discusses best practices construction details for building exteriors, including water and air barriers, building flashing products & installation, wood siding material choices & installation, vinyl siding, stucco exteriors, building trim, exterior caulks and sealants, exterior building adhesives, and choices and application of exterior finishes on buildings: paints, stains.
Readers should see CAULKS & SEALANTS, EXTERIOR and also see GLUES ADHESIVES, EXTERIOR CONSTRUCTION. Some caulks and sealants also act as glues or adhesives.
There is a stunning, actually an overwhelming array of types and qualities of caulk guns available.
3M, Albion, Apex-Cooper Hand Tools, GE, Newborn, Rigid, Z-Pro, and other companies produce or distribute hundreds of caulk guns and other items of caulking equipment. Contact information for these companies is listed at Resources for Building Exterior Caulks and Sealants. Here are some observations and opinions from DJF who, like many, has spent a lot of caulking time on construction projects:
- Stamped-steel caulk guns (first caulk gun at left in the group of four below) Watch out Most caulk gun producers offer durable heavy duty and good performing caulk guns, but for the "quick and dirty one-off job"
also offer homeowner-grade caulk guns made of stamped metal that we find, at least in some cases, do not last long. We call these "disposable" caulk guns.
With the least-costly grades of these caulk guns we find that very quickly the gun goes in the trash after a strong squeeze has bent the trigger handle, or the plunger mechanism keeps slipping rather than forcing caulk out of the cartridge or tube.
- Manual caulk guns, heavy duty models for homeowner and moderate construction use (second from left below): we much prefer the caulk cartridge type caulk gun shown in our photograph (above left and below, second from left)). This type of caulking gun has a strong steel body, cast iron handle, and a plunger mechanism that does not slip when pushing against a recalcitrant tube of caulk.
Like many models this caulk gun includes a wire to open the foil seal found in the tops of some caulk tubes and of course a cutter to snip off the caulk tube tip. The hooked caulk pushrod end forms a convenient ladder hook for the tool. Newborn produces a heavy duty professional NBC250 caulk gun of this type. A lighter version with an open cartridge body (third from left below) also performed acceptably but not as well as our preferred caulk gun.
- Bulk caulk guns, cartridge and sausage caulk guns are fast, and are designed to accept caulk bought in bulk, often in a collapsible plastic wrap or "sausage" (above right).
- Air powered caulk guns can pump very viscous caulks or adhesives at high speed and in large volumes. Models accept both cartridges and bulk or sausage packs of caulk. Our friend Mike Skok (Re Bath) uses a battery-operated air-powered caulk gun to dispense adhesive when installing plastic bath surrounds.
Apex-Cooper Hand Tools' PG 100 Caulk Master (below ) is a professional-grade air-powered caulk and adhesive gun that is driven by an air compressor - Apex-Cooper's air powered caulk gun.
- Cordless Battery-powered caulk guns are really fast and low-effort, and with some practice, you can make very smooth caulk applications by learning to keep the caulk gun tip moving. Rigid makes an 18-volt cordless gun used for both caulks and adhesives and shown below at left- Third from left, Rigid's battery operated power caulking gun.
Above center: caulk gun with extension rod for reaching. Above right, our standard (and favorite) manually-opeated 3-M caulk gun.
Definitions of Caulking, Chalking, Spackling
Question: What's the Difference between caulking, chalking, and spackling?
I would like to know the difference between spackling and chalking and caulking and where each should be used. - A.C.
Definition of Spackling: Spackling refers to use of joint compound to seal tape joints between sections of drywall or to smooth other irregularities in drywall before the wall or ceiling is painted. Spackling is also used on occasion as a superficial repair on plaster although repairing plaster with actual plaster may be preferred.
See DRYWALL, PLASTER, BEAVERBOARD for help in identifying these materials and a bit about their history. Also see
Watch out: don't rely on joint compound or spackling compound to seal building leaks where temperature changes, vibration, or anything else will cause movement of the building materials. Unlike flexible caulks that are designed to adhere to various types of surfaces and to tolerate small amounts of movement between the sealed surfaces, joint compound or spackling compound is designed for cosmetic repairs only, and it is likely to crack if installed where a flexible caulk should have been used indoors, and to weather and fail if used on an outdoor surface.
Definition of caulking: Caulks are sealants used to close gaps or cracks against leaks. The leak may be an air leak or a water leak in a building, or historically, in other structures such as a boat where in addition to hull leaks a boat often leaked at the connection of hull to boat deck. Caulk types and uses are discussed in more detail at CAULKS & SEALANTS, EXTERIOR. Types of caulk guns used to apply caulk are discussed above at CAULK GUN TYPES, CHOICES.
Before modern silicon, latex, or polyurethane caulks were invented boat leaks were sealed by hammering oakum, hemp or even cotton into the open gaps using a loggerhead.
Watch out: while it is often convenient to use caulk for cosmetic sealing of gaps and cracks indoors, such as along baseboard trim installed along uneven wall surfaces, be sure to use paintable caulk if the surfaces are intended to be painted. For example, some silicone caulks that perform very well as sealants also form a surface to which paint will not adhere.
Definition of chalking: Chalking is usually used to refer to the white oxidization that appears on some painted surfaces as they wear or weather, it's not something you'd do to drywall or plaster. Paint chalking is discussed at PAINT FAILURE DICTIONARY and at PAINT FALURE, DIAGNOSIS, CURE, PREVENTION.
Chalking is sometimes used in some parts of the world to refer to steps to make surface more "white", and it is also used to refer to plowing chalk into soil as part of applying manure - a step that has nothing to do with building maintenance.
If you live in a country where any of these words are used with a different meaning please CONTACT us to let us know about it.
Resources for Building Exterior Caulks and Sealants
Construction Sealant (Caulks) Suppliers & Products
- Albion, 1250 North Church Street, Moorestown, New Jersey 08057-1102 http://www.albioneng.com/, 856-235-6688
- Chemrex www.chemrex.com
- Newborn caulking guns, distributed by Jamestown JD Distributors - http://www.jamestowndistributors.com
Polyurethanes and other high-performance sealants
- 3M - 800-234-8068
- Bostik - Chem-Calk urethane caulk - 414-774-2250
www.dap.com - 800-543-3840
- Tremco - Velcum urethane caulk - 800-321-7906
- Macklanburg-Duncan - Sika and Sikaflex caulks - 800-654-8454 (widely used in sealing concrete wall and floor slab cracks in the radon mitigation industry)
- OSI Sealants
These sompanies produce urethane caulks used widely on masonry surfaces and in the automotive industry.
Acrylic latex caulks
- Dow Corning Sealants
- Silicone sealants
- GE Silicones
- Geocel Corp
Acrylic latex, tripolymer, copolymer, Kraton, and clear
Acrylic latex sealants
- OSI Sealants Inc
Polyseamseal PVA-based caulk. Pro Series includes latex,
polyurethane, and Kraton sealants.
Phenoseal vinyl adhesive caulk
- Red Devil
Acrylic, silicone, and butyl sealants
- Sashco Sealants
Big Stretch and Mor-Flexx water-based sealants, Lexel
- Sika Corp
Complete line of Sikaflex polyurethane-based sealants,
- Tremco Inc.
High-performance, architectural-grade sealants,
Acrylic latex caulks
- White Lightning
Tripolymer, butyl, polyurethane, silicone, elastomeric, and
other high-performance sealants
Epoxy, BestBond polyurethane glue
Excel polyurethane glue
- Elmer’s Products
Yellow glues, ProBond polyurethane glue
- Custom-Pak Adhesives
Resorcinol and yellow glues
- DAP Inc.
Weldwood contact cement, resorcinol, and construction
- Franklin International
Titebond yellow glue, Liquid Hide Glue, and construction
- Gloucester Co. Inc.
Phenoseal adhesive caulk
- Gougeon Brothers
West System epoxy
- Gorilla Group
Gorilla polyurethane glue
- MACCO Adhesives
Liquid Nails construction adhesive
- SI Sealants
PL400 construction adhesive
- System Three Resins
Quick Cure epoxy
-- Adapted with permission from Best Practices Guide to Residential Construction.
Continue reading at CAULKS & SEALANTS, EXTERIOR or select a topic from the More Reading links shown below.
Suggested citation for this web page
CAULK GUN TYPES, CHOICES at InspectApedia.com - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.
Green link shows where you are in this article series.
- ACOUSTICAL SEALANT CHOICES
- ADHESIVES, EXTERIOR CONSTRUCTION
- ASBESTOS in ROOF FLASHING CEMENT
- BRICK WALL DRAINAGE WEEP HOLES
- CAULKS & SEALANTS, EXTERIOR
- CHIMNEY FLASHING Mistakes & Leaks
- CLAY TILE ROOF FLASHING
- DECK FLASHING
- DOOR FLASHING DETAILS
- DRY-IN, DEFINITION
- EIFS & STUCCO EXTERIORS
- EXTERIOR TRIM INSTALLATION DETAILS
- FLASHING on BUILDINGS - home
- FLAT ROOF DRAINAGE SYSTEMS
- GALVANIC SCALE & METAL CORROSION
- GLUES ADHESIVES, EXTERIOR CONSTRUCTION
- HOUSEWRAP / SHEATHING WRAP
- HOUSEWRAP at SILLS, SOLES, TOP PLATES
- PAINT & STAIN GUIDE, EXTERIOR
- ROOF ICE DAM LEAKS
- METAL ROOF FLASHING
- MOISTURE CONTROL in BUILDINGS - home
- PEEL & STICK FLASHING MEMBRANES
- ROOF FLASHING, ASPHALT SHINGLE VALLEYS
- ROOF WALL FLASHING DETAILS
- ROOF-WALL FLASHING SNAFU
- SHOWER PAN FLASHING
- SIDING FLASHING DETAILS
- SIDING LEAK DIAGNOSIS & REPAIR
- SIDING, FIBER CEMENT GAP & CAULK SPECS
- SKYLIGHT LEAK DIAGNOSIS & REPAIR
- STORM WINDOW WEEP HOLES
- STUCCO WALL METHODS & INSTALLATION
- SNOW GUARDS & SNOW BRAKES
- TERMITE SHIELD Installation
- TERMITE SHIELDS vs TERMITICIDE
- THERMAL EXPANSION of MATERIALS
- VAPOR BARRIERS & CONDENSATION
- WALL / WINDOW LEAK DIAGNOSIS
- WATER BARRIERS, EXTERIOR BUILDING
- WATER ENTRY in BUILDINGS - home
- WALL FLASHING DETAILS
- WALL / WINDOW LEAK DIAGNOSIS
- WINDOW FLASHING & SEALING Guide
- WOOD ROOF FLASHING DETAILS
- FAQs below discusses field reports of problems & solutions for this topic
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Click to Show or Hide FAQs
No FAQs have been posted for this page. Try the search box below or CONTACT US by email if you cannot find the answer you need at InspectApedia.
Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia
Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.
Search the InspectApedia website
Technical Reviewers & References
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman
Click to Show or Hide Citations & References
- Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd., 120 Carlton Street Suite 407, Toronto ON M5A 4K2. (416) 964-9415 1-800-268-7070 email@example.com. The firm provides professional home inspection services & home inspection education & publications. Alan Carson is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors. Thanks to Alan Carson and Bob Dunlop, for permission for InspectAPedia to use text excerpts from The Home Reference Book & illustrations from The Illustrated Home. Carson Dunlop Associates' provides:
- Commercial Building Inspection Courses - protocol ASTM Standard E 2018-08 for Property Condition Assessments
- Home Inspection Education Courses including home study & live classes at eleven colleges & universities.
- Home Inspection Education Home Study Courses - ASHI@Home Training 10-course program.
Special Offer: Carson Dunlop Associates offers InspectAPedia readers in the U.S.A. a 5% discount on these courses: Enter INSPECTAHITP in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Home Reference Book, a reference & inspection report product for building owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: For a 10% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Home Reference eBook, an electronic version for PCs, the iPad, iPhone, & Android smart phones.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter inspectaehrb in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- The Illustrated Home illustrates construction details and building components, a reference for owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Illustrated Home purchased as a single order Enter INSPECTAILL in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- The Horizon Software System manages business operations,scheduling, & inspection report writing using Carson Dunlop's knowledge base & color images. The Horizon system runs on always-available cloud-based software for office computers, laptops, tablets, iPad, Android, & other smartphones.
- Eric Galow, Galow Homes, Lagrangeville, NY. Mr. Galow can be reached by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone: 914-474-6613. Mr. Galow specializes in residential construction including both new homes and repairs, renovations, and additions.
- Mark Cramer Inspection Services Mark Cramer, Tampa Florida, Mr. Cramer is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors and is a Florida home inspector and home inspection educator. Contact Mark Cramer at: 727-595-4211 mark@BestTampaInspector.com 11/06
- Roger Hankey is principal of Hankey and Brown home inspectors, Eden Prairie, MN. Mr. Hankey is a past chairman of the ASHI Standards Committee. Mr. Hankey has served in other ASHI professional and leadership roles. Contact Roger Hankey at: 952 829-0044 - email@example.com. Mr. Hankey is a frequent contributor to InspectAPedia.com.
- Arlene Puentes, an ASHI member and a licensed home inspector in Kingston, NY, and has served on ASHI national committees as well as HVASHI Chapter President. Ms. Puentes can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wikipedia provided background information about some topics discussed at this website provided this citation is also found in the same article along with a " retrieved on" date. NOTE: because Wikipedia entries are fluid and can be amended in real time, we cite the retrieval date of Wikipedia citations and we do not assert that the information found there is necessarily authoritative.
Books & Articles on Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, & Repair
- The Home Reference Book - the Encyclopedia of Homes, Carson Dunlop & Associates, Toronto, Ontario, 25th Ed., 2012, is a bound volume of more than 450 illustrated pages that assist home inspectors and home owners in the inspection and detection of problems on buildings. The text is intended as a reference guide to help building owners operate and maintain their home effectively. Field inspection worksheets are included at the back of the volume. Special Offer: For a 10% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
Or choose the The Home Reference eBook for PCs, Macs, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or Android Smart Phones. Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAEHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.