A Photo Library of Slate Roofs
Photographs of different types of roofing slate: colors, patterns, quarry sources, indications of wear, installation patterns
- SLATE ROOF PHOTO LIBRARY - CONTENTS: Photo Guide to Slate Roof Inspection. Photo library of slate roofing materials & slate conditions. Slate roofing patterns. Slate colors, types, and defects. Slate wear indicators. Slate repairs. Examples of worn-out slate roofs.
- POST a QUESTION or READ FAQs about how to recognize types of slate roofs & slate roof defects or leak problems
InspectAPedia tolerates no conflicts of interest. We have no relationship with advertisers, products, or services discussed at this website.
This slate roofing photo library shows various kinds of roofing slate, slate roof colors, slate
roof patterns, and roofing slate defects.
This photographic dictionary of roofing slates is a supplement
to our detailed article (links at the "More Reading" links at the bottom of this article ) describing procedures for evaluating the condition of slate roofing.
How to inspect, identify defects, and estimate remaining life of slate roofs are addressed.
Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2015 InspectApedia.com, All Rights Reserved.
An online photo dictionary of roofing slate colors, types, and conditions
This article also references slate repair procedures, repair slate sources, and slate quarries.
An earlier version of this article appeared in the winter 1991 issue of the ASHI Technical Journal - the content has been substantially edited and updated and many © photographs have been added for this online version - April 2006-January 2007- July 2012.
Slate roofing is considered a high-quality, durable, and
aesthetically pleasing material which receives considerable focus
in both the sale of properties and in the evaluation of building condition.
Also see SLATE ROOF COLORS.
A Photographic Guide to Slate Roof Patterns
As we emphasized at
SLATE ROOF INSPECTION & REPAIR our main article on slate repairs, opinions run heavier than actual data.
The abandonment of good slate roofs which should have been repaired
is a financial shame and the destruction of a valued asset.
[Click to enlarge any image]
same time, careless optimism about a bad slate roof which is at the
end of its life risks an angry inspection client.
SLATE ROOF INSPECTION & REPAIR reviews
types of slate, common defects, inspection topics, and some repair
Photographs of Closed Lap Staggered Slate Roof Pattern
Closed lap staggered slate pattern, shown just above, don't mistake this for the leak-prone "Dutch lap" late roof pattern [illustrated later on this page] that too often was installed with minimal side lap between slates
Photos of conventional slate roofing patterns
Conventional staggered horizontal slate pattern, good condition on a steep mansard roof - good nails must have been used
Photographs of Slate used on a Curved Roof Shape
Curved ridge slate roof, this unusual design risks wind-blown rain leaks
Curved ridge slate roof, close-up view of gaps - slates don't bend along a curve
Photographs of Diamond Pattern Slate Roofs
Diamond pattern slate roofs, tar patched, a few missing slates, this roof may seem OK, but what about all of that tar/mastic patching?
Photo Guide to Diagonal Pattern Slate Roofs
Diagonal pattern roof slate, red and green, good condition, shown here on a building on the Vassar College Campus, Poughkeepsie, NY
Slate Roof Dutch Lap or Staggered Slate Lap Roofing Pattern Photographs
Dutch lap pattern with good side lap, adequate side lap makes leaks less likely but quite often shingles were installed in this pattern with just an inch of side lap and very little head lap, making for a leaky roof. Our Dutch lap slate roof at above left is on the Vassar College Campus, Poughkeepsie, NY, and at above right is a Dutch-lap pattern slate roof on a home in Putney Vermont.
Photo Guide to French Pattern Roofing Slates
French Pattern Slates, generous side lap visible where slate is missing, tarred valley, thin, delaminating slates
Photo Guide to Graduated Slate Roofing Patterns
Graduated Slate Roof, generally good, some roof mastic patching at a missing slate; note the mastic at sidewall step flashing?
Graduated Slates, green slates, generally good condition, note less algae below copper salts washing down from skylight
This article series assists home inspectors, building buyers or building owners, and roofing contractors in
evaluating the condition of slate roofs by providing photos of various slate materials, patterns, defects,
Continue reading at SLATE ROOF COLORS or select a topic from the More Reading links shown below.
Or see SLATE ROOF INSPECTION & REPAIR for a detailed article about evaluating the condition of slate roofing and repairing worn or damaged slate roofs.
Suggested citation for this web page
SLATE ROOF PHOTO LIBRARY at InspectApedia.com - online encyclopedia of building & environmental inspection, testing, diagnosis, repair, & problem prevention advice.
Green link shows where you are in this article series.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Click to Show or Hide FAQs
No FAQs have been posted for this page. Try the search box below or CONTACT US by email if you cannot find the answer you need at InspectApedia.
Ask a Question or Search InspectApedia
Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.
Search the InspectApedia website
Technical Reviewers & References
Publisher's Google+ Page by Daniel Friedman
Click to Show or Hide Citations & References
- Carson, Dunlop & Associates Ltd., 120 Carlton Street Suite 407, Toronto ON M5A 4K2. (416) 964-9415 1-800-268-7070 email@example.com. The firm provides professional home inspection services & home inspection education & publications. Alan Carson is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors. Thanks to Alan Carson and Bob Dunlop, for permission for InspectAPedia to use text excerpts from The Home Reference Book & illustrations from The Illustrated Home. Carson Dunlop Associates' provides:
- Commercial Building Inspection Courses - protocol ASTM Standard E 2018-08 for Property Condition Assessments
- Home Inspection Education Courses including home study & live classes at eleven colleges & universities.
- Home Inspection Education Home Study Courses - ASHI@Home Training 10-course program.
Special Offer: Carson Dunlop Associates offers InspectAPedia readers in the U.S.A. a 5% discount on these courses: Enter INSPECTAHITP in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Home Reference Book, a reference & inspection report product for building owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: For a 10% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
- The Home Reference eBook, an electronic version for PCs, the iPad, iPhone, & Android smart phones.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter inspectaehrb in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- The Illustrated Home illustrates construction details and building components, a reference for owners & inspectors.
Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Illustrated Home purchased as a single order Enter INSPECTAILL in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.
- The Horizon Software System manages business operations,scheduling, & inspection report writing using Carson Dunlop's knowledge base & color images. The Horizon system runs on always-available cloud-based software for office computers, laptops, tablets, iPad, Android, & other smartphones.
- Eric Galow, Galow Homes, Lagrangeville, NY. Mr. Galow can be reached by email: firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone: 914-474-6613. Mr. Galow specializes in residential construction including both new homes and repairs, renovations, and additions.
- Mark Cramer Inspection Services Mark Cramer, Tampa Florida, Mr. Cramer is a past president of ASHI, the American Society of Home Inspectors and is a Florida home inspector and home inspection educator. Contact Mark Cramer at: 727-595-4211 mark@BestTampaInspector.com 11/06
- Roger Hankey is principal of Hankey and Brown home inspectors, Eden Prairie, MN. Mr. Hankey is a past chairman of the ASHI Standards Committee. Mr. Hankey has served in other ASHI professional and leadership roles. Contact Roger Hankey at: 952 829-0044 - email@example.com. Mr. Hankey is a frequent contributor to InspectAPedia.com.
- Arlene Puentes, an ASHI member and a licensed home inspector in Kingston, NY, and has served on ASHI national committees as well as HVASHI Chapter President. Ms. Puentes can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wikipedia provided background information about some topics discussed at this website provided this citation is also found in the same article along with a " retrieved on" date. NOTE: because Wikipedia entries are fluid and can be amended in real time, we cite the retrieval date of Wikipedia citations and we do not assert that the information found there is necessarily authoritative.
Books & Articles on Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, & Repair
- The Home Reference Book - the Encyclopedia of Homes, Carson Dunlop & Associates, Toronto, Ontario, 25th Ed., 2012, is a bound volume of more than 450 illustrated pages that assist home inspectors and home owners in the inspection and detection of problems on buildings. The text is intended as a reference guide to help building owners operate and maintain their home effectively. Field inspection worksheets are included at the back of the volume. Special Offer: For a 10% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference Book purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space. InspectAPedia.com editor Daniel Friedman is a contributing author.
Or choose the The Home Reference eBook for PCs, Macs, Kindle, iPad, iPhone, or Android Smart Phones. Special Offer: For a 5% discount on any number of copies of the Home Reference eBook purchased as a single order. Enter INSPECTAEHRB in the order payment page "Promo/Redemption" space.