Question? Just ask us!
Free Encyclopedia of Building & Environmental Inspection, Testing, Diagnosis, Repair
InspectAPedia ® Home
VENTILATION in BUILDINGS
Heat recovery ventilator field report of a fire: this article describes a field observation of a fire-damaged heat recovery ventilator unit found by Minnesota home inspector Roger Hankey. The inspection suggests that the root cause of the fire at this HRV was the collapse of an air filter that was drawn into the fan assembly. Remarkably the home owner's report that the heat recovery ventilator was in working order suggests that the hazard and equipment failure had remained un-discovered for a long time.
Green links show where you are. © Copyright 2015 InspectApedia.com, All Rights Reserved.
Mr. Hankey notes: The home seller's disclosure indicated the HRV was in working condition. Our field observation found that this was not the case. [Click to enlarge any image]
This was a VanEE heat recovery ventilation unit built & installed circa 1987. That dates this device as having been manufactured before the units made in 1991-2001 and cited in the HEAT RECOVERY VENTILATOR RECALL.
There you will read that Venmar made heat recovery ventilator systems that were sold under multiple brand names besides VanEE, including Venmar, Broan - Guardian, Conformax, Nutone, Bryant Carrier - Standard, Carrier, Bryant - Payne Day & Night, Heil, Sears, York, Rudd Protech - Weatherking, and Rheem. Note that since not every HRV sold by those companies is subject to the recall, you'll want to check the article cited above.
Notice clogged collapsed intake filter (photo above right). I attribute the motor burn out to the clogged filter. (DIRTY AIR FILTER PROBLEMS) In any event, the inspection report recommendation was for correction by a qualified HVAC firm.
I unplugged the power cord even though no heat was present at time of inspection.
Watch out: If you have one of the Venmar Heat Recovery Ventilator models listed at HEAT RECOVERY VENTILATOR RECALL., turn off the equipment and unplug it.
Watch out also: for a collapsing or collapsed or improperly-sized or supported air filter in any heat recovery ventilator or other air handling equipment. An improperly-installed or designed air filter that collapses and becomes drawn into the blower assembly can cause the motor to overheat and may cause a building fire. These hazards are present in any HVAC system that incorporates a blower fan and air filter in a position where a failed or damaged filter or other object could be drawn into moving parts such as the fan assembly.
Roger Hankey is principal of Hankey and Brown home inspectors, Eden Prairie, MN. Mr. Hankey is a past chairman of the ASHI Standards Committee. Mr. Hankey has served in other ASHI professional and leadership roles. Contact Roger Hankey at: 952 829-0044 - firstname.lastname@example.org. Mr. Hankey is a frequent contributor to InspectAPedia.com.
Suggested citation for this web page
Green link shows where you are in this article series.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
No FAQs have been posted for this page. Try the search box below or CONTACT US by email if you cannot find the answer you need at InspectApedia.
Use the "Click to Show or Hide FAQs" link just above to see recently-posted questions, comments, replies, try the search box just below, or if you prefer, post a question or comment in the Comments box below and we will respond promptly.
Search the InspectApedia website
HTML Comment Box is loading comments...
Technical Reviewers & References